Mold is a form of fungus that can be found both indoors and outdoors, in areas with sufficient moisture.
Indoors, mold usually appears in damp, humid places where there are leaky pipes or any kind of water damage, as well as in spaces with inadequate ventilation.
It can grow on various surfaces – wood, paper products, cardboard, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, ceiling tiles, paints, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.
In general, mold has a musty smell, which may help discover small or hidden infections.
As for its appearance, it may look powdery, furry, or slimy, and can be different colors, including gray, black, green, blue, white, and yellow.
Most common indoor molds
There are many different types of molds. Among the ones that can be found at home, the most common ones are:
Commonly found on food, it can appear as a green, gray, or white fungus with a powdery look.
It can cause a serious health problem known as aspergillosis.
A typically green or black mold, commonly found on wood, fabrics, and in ducts.
Being one of the most common causes of fruit and vegetable spoilage, this mold saved millions of lives – This bluish-green mold was the original source of the first antibiotic, penicillin, that perfected the treatment of bacterial infections.
Consequences of mold growth
Mold can cause from unsightly stains to structural damage to buildings, and therefore it’s important to address any mold issue as soon as it’s noticed.
It can also cause health problems when there is contact, inhalation, or ingestion of mold spores. While some people may experience minor allergic reactions such as runny nose, watery eyes, and skin irritation, others may experience life-threatening conditions such as respiratory difficulties and lung infections.
Therefore, mold can be especially risky for people with breathing conditions such as asthma and allergies, and immune suppression such as people with cancer, HIV infection, and those who have undergone organ transplants.
How to get rid of mold?
The first thing you should do is fix plumbing leaks and any other water problems as soon as possible.
Then, open windows and doors to ventilate the area.
Wearing eye protection, an N95 mask, and rubber gloves, scrub surfaces with detergent and water.
As for porous surfaces such as ceiling tiles, carpets, and furniture, they should be disposed of if mold reappears.
To bear in mind
- Mold may cause staining and cosmetic damage, and it may not be possible to clean an item so that its original appearance is restored.
- Do not paint moldy surfaces, as the issue will be still there and the paint will begin to peel.
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should not clean mold by yourself if:
- The affected area covers more than 10 square feet.
- Contaminated water caused the mold growth.
- The mold has gotten into the HVAC system.
- You have health issues.
In these cases, you should hire an expert to perform the cleanup and remediation of the affected areas.
Mold remediation is one of The Phoenix Restoration’s specialties. Our Professionals can easily detect the source of the moisture and effectively remove mold.
Contact us and we’ll be glad to assist you!